Craving for snacks is typical. Desserts, chocolates, you name it The craving is there. At least for most people that is true. I know folks that do not care for desserts, How I feel bad for them!
This post is a compilation of several easy to prepare and even better, simple recipes that diabetics can enjoy guilt-free. Sure, many prefer to buy store products. They are easily available and provides instant gratification. However, as we all know all these store products are manufactured in huge plants that produce thousands of these snacks. Being manufactured means that additional processes and ingredients are added to ensure a long shelf-life. The advantage of course is convenience. Home-made products are much healthier and does not have as much of the processing ingredients added during the manufacturing process.
#1 Simple Apple Raisin Surprise
Serving for 48
- 1-1/4 cups sucralose-based sugar substitute
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1-1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine sweetner, applesauce, brown sugar, butter, egg, milk and vanilla.
- Mix with electric mixer until well blended.
- Stir in combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually mix in oats and raisins until well combined.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto sprayed baking sheets. Bake until light golden in color. Should make 4 dozen.
- Remove from baking sheet and sprinkle confectioners sugar (to taste)
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight containers at room temperature. and enjoy as desired
Each cookie has approximately 65 calories
#2 Simple Strawberry & Banana Jello Delight
Serving for 10
- 8 oz container of low fat Cool Whip
- 4 oz box of Jello Strawberry Cream Instant pudding (sugar free)
- 12 oz container of fat free Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 pound of Strawberries, sliced
- 1 Banana, sliced
- Combine the Cool Whip and Jello powder in a large mixing bowl
- Whip the mixture until they are well blended.
- Fold the cottage cheese, strawberry, banana and mix by hand until well blended
- Serve chilled in a small dessert container
Each serving is approximately 60 clories
#3 Simple Lemon Mousse
Serving for 10
- 4 cups fat-free (skim) milk
- 2 packages (4-serving size each) vanilla fat-free sugar-free instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 2 packages (1/2 ounce each) sugar-free powdered lemonade mix
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh or frozen mixed berries (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Whisk milk and pudding-mix in large bowl until smooth
- When mixture thickens, whisk in lemonade mix, and topping until smooth.
- Pour into 8 dessert dishes.Add mixed berries
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, top with berries, if desired. Garnish with mint
Approximately 60 calories